Fried Calamari Recipe
Here is a really easy and great recipe for cooking calamari in only 15min the Greek way!
|Total time:||15 mins|
Apparently 6 ounces of cleaned calamari = 1 standard serving. Our Calamari is packaged neatly into 500g which should be about 2-3 servings.
Some Tips and Variations:
- You can use a deep fryer or frying pan.
- Put the flour in a plastic bag, then add the calamari and shake gently. It makes for a better coat than just rolling the pieces in the flour. Leave the calamari in the flour until it’s slightly soggy, then fry for a nice crisp result.
- Frying each batch of calamari lowers the heat of the oil, so allow your oil to reheat before adding the next batch.
- 1kg or x2 500g packs of calamari
- 1 cup flour (or as needed, for dredging)
- 1/2 to 3/4 inches olive oil (or peanut oil, for frying)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- Optional: black pepper
- Garnish: 1 teaspoon fresh parsley ( flat leaf, chopped)
- Garnish: lemon wedges
Steps to Make It
- Defrost the calamari according to the package instructions.
- Otherwise clean the calamari in preparation for frying, keeping the tentacles in one piece.
- Season the calamari with salt. You can also add pepper if desired.
- Preheat a deep skillet or a heavy-bottomed frying pan over low heat.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4-inch of oil into the frying pan. It should not be any deeper than half the depth of the pan. Turn the heat up to high.
- Dredge the calamari in the flour and let sit for a few minutes. Gently shake off any excess flour.
- Add the calamari to the pan when the oil is hot. Check the oil by touching a piece of the calamari to it. If the calamari sizzles, the oil is ready.
- Fry the calamari without crowding them until they’re crisp and golden brown on all sides. Remove them with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges.